You are currently viewing an archived version of the Ferris catalog.
View the most current version.
Polymer Materials Technology
Why Choose to Minor in Polymer Materials Technology?
The polymer materials technology minor is intended for non-Plastics/Rubber majors who are interested in the polymer industry. This minor is intended to complement existing degrees within FSU. Affording students a technical focus which could result in employment opportunities in the fourth largest industry in the United States.
- Understand and learn the terminology in the plastics and rubber industry.
- Know the most used materials and their significant properties and applications.
- Learn how to measure and evaluate polymer materials by their physical and mechanical properties.
- Know the major polymer suppliers associated with the industry.
- Know and understand the typical rubber and plastics fabrication techniques.
- Understand polymer materials selection as it related to materials and product design.
The minor is open to all students enrolled and pursuing a baccalaureate or higher degree in majors other than Plastic Engineering Technology or Rubber Engineering Technology.
Approval from the Plastics and Rubber department and satisfying prerequisites. Cumulative GPA of a 2.0 or higher.
- Chemistry 121 Science elective (5 credits) or equivalent (University Scientific Understanding)
- Math 116/115 or equivalent
An academic minor may only be awarded upon completion of a baccalaureate at Ferris State University.
A minimum of 50% of the total credits required must be earned at Ferris State University.
Only 6 credits can be shared with student’s major.
A minimum grade of C- is required for each course in certificate.
Cumulative GPA must be a 2.0 or higher.
National Elastomer Center
College of Engineering Technology
Ferris State University
Plastics and Rubber Department
Phone: (231) 591-2640