Why Choose the Master of Business Administration?
An MBA provides a graduate with a comprehensive perspective on management and the business environment and tools and methods to approach and successfully solve complex business challenges in the global marketplace. The Ferris MBA combines a strong core curriculum focused on key business competencies with deeper learning in a specialty the student chooses.
While MBA courses cannot replace the value of work experience, courses designed specifically with a focus on a management perspective-- managerial accounting, managerial finance, strategic management-- provide students with experience in problem solving, interpretation, case analysis, and policy development in many different business contexts. This structured learning ensures that students can apply these lessons in their work environment, maximizing the effect of education and experience.
Students can prepare for careers or advancement in many fields, including health care, manufacturing, sales, and more. The core courses develop team and management skills to improve organizational performance in accounting, finance, leadership, strategy, economics, statistics, marketing, legal, the global environment, information systems, and operations.
Students tailor their educational experience to their individual professional interests by choosing one of our advanced studies certificates or by customizing a concentration as their specialization:
The Advanced Studies Certificate in Business Intelligence and Informatics is designed to prepare individuals with both theoretical and practical experience in designing, developing and utilizing database and informatics systems. Students will utilize tools and techniques including predictive, geographic, and link/visual analysis in a big data/data analytics environment.
The Advanced Studies Certificate in Design and Innovation Management prepares graduates for leadership positions in design-centered businesses. The program provides students a comprehensive understanding of the ways in which the method, measure, and language of design drive the practice of business and the process of innovation and teaches them how to cultivate and build a culture of innovation within their organization. The ASDI certificate is offered at Kendall College of Art & Design in Grand Rapids.
The Advanced Studies Certificate in Incident Response is designed to prepare individuals to secure computers, networks, and systems against intrusions and unauthorized access, test and assess security measures, and forensically analyze the environment to determine events and situations that may have occurred in a digital environment.
The Advanced Studies Certificate in Performance Metrics is designed to educate students in how to appropriately measure various strategies, projects and activities with respect to effectiveness, quality and efficiency.
The Advanced Studies Certificate in Project Management is designed to prepare individuals for careers as program, project, and portfolio managers consistent with the Project Management Institute’s Project Management Body of Knowledge and other industry standards. Students will study the entire project life cycle and supporting tools and technologies.
The Advanced Studies Certificate in Lean Systems and Leadership delivers a comprehensive education for applying lean concepts to various industries: e.g. banks, nonprofits, offices, hospitals, restaurants, manufacturing. The classes prepare individuals to lead, manage, and evaluate a continuous improvement system in a complex work environment. This cutting edge approach will provide graduates with highly sought-after capabilities to improve operational & financial performance and monitor growth within any type of organization.
The Advanced Studies Certificate in Supply Chain Management and Lean Logistics curriculum is designed to prepare students to analyze and provide solutions for situations involving the integrated supply chain (manufacturing, purchasing, logistics and transportation, business development and operations, et al). The courses provide students with an ever increasing base of knowledge on how to create value added strategies. This knowledge is exercised through the optimal application of logistics and supply chain coordination. Future managers and executives will use this knowledge the rest of their careers.
Pharmacy Concentration - Students currently enrolled in the FSU Doctor of Pharmacy Program can pursue the Ferris MBA with a 12-credit Pharmacy Concentration that consists of two pharmacy management courses and a 6-credit clerkship in their choice of; Corporate Pharmacy Management, Pharmaceutical Industry, or Health Systems Pharmacy.
Professional Concentration – Students who have specific career interests may work with an advisor to select a combination of existing graduate courses and/or propose independent research to customize a concentration in nearly any field of study.
Admission to a graduate program is granted to students showing high promise of success. The College of Business uses various measures of high promise including the candidate’s performance on the graduate admission test and upper-division grade-point average. Such measures, along with other reasonable indications of promise, will be used in combination to arrive at a final judgment.
To be considered for admission to the MBA Program, applicants must submit the following documents:
- Completed application (Free on-line application can be completed at ferris.edu/admissions/application).
- Official course transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate colleges and universities previously attended, which include confirmation of a Bachelor degree from a regionally accredited university with an overall Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.0 or better on a 4.0 scale.
- A current resume
- A Statement of Purpose, approximately one page typed, explaining your reasons for seeking admission into the program you have selected. Your Statement of Purpose should show that you have taken steps to learn about our programs and are familiar with and prepared for on-line or mixed-delivery, accelerated courses. You should also explain what certificate or concentration you intend to pursue, what factors have influenced your decision to apply, and how this degree will help you achieve your short-term and long-term career goals.
- Three academic or professional recommendation letters attesting to your ability to succeed in graduate level studies.
- Official GMAT score of 500 or higher, OR GRE score in the upper 50% with a 2.5 or higher on the analytical writing portion. (Waiver of test requirement will be permitted if applicant has completed a previous Master’s or Professional Degree, or will be considered if the applicant has earned a Bachelor degree with a 3.5 or better GPA).
- Competencies in Statistics, Accounting and Finance, and Marketing as evidenced by a C or better grade in relevant coursework or 80% or better score on IvySoftware competency exams. These exams are available at no cost to MBA applicants.
Additional Requirements for International Students
- Copy of identification page(s) of your passport.
- Confidential Financial Statement signed by you or your sponsor.
- Original official bank statement from you or your sponsor representing funds for at least one academic year.
- Proof of English proficiency
– TOEFL score of 70 on Internet based test with a writing sub score of 22 or higher
– IELTS score of 6.5 with writing sub score of 6.0 or higher
Application Due Dates
- February 15 – for starting summer semester in May
- June 15 – for starting fall semester in August
- October 15 – for starting winter semester in January
Applications may be accepted past deadlines if no international mailing or application for Visa is required.
No grade below a C will be counted toward a College of Business graduate degree or certificate. No more than two C grades will apply to degree. An overall GPA of 3.0 or better is required to earn the MBA degree. An overall GPA of 3.0 or better must be maintained to avoid dismissal from the MBA program. Degree must be completed within five years from first semester of enrollment. Students must complete an application to graduate before their degree will appear on transcripts and a diploma is issued.
Twelve Core Required Courses - 48-51 Credits
One Advanced Study Certificate Required - 12 Credits
Design & Innovation Management
Lean Systems and Leadership
Supply Chain Management and Lean Logistics
In place of a certificate a student could choose a Concentration