You are currently viewing an archived version of the Ferris catalog.
View the most current version.
Nutrition and Food Service Management
Why Choose the Nutrition and Food Service Management Certificate?
The Nutrition and Food Service Management certificate is specifically designed for individuals with a qualifying degree or background experience in the food service field to be prepared for the Certified Dietary Managers (CDM) exam. The nationally-recognized credentialing exam is administered through the Association of Nutrition and Foodservice Professionals (ANFP). The Ferris certificate is the only one in the State of Michigan that is approved by the ANFP. The certificate was developed in direct response to the need for more CDMs in the growing health care field. CDMs are typically employed in areas such as assisted living, long term care, rehabilitation centers, acute care, and day care facilities.
CDMs work together with registered dietitians to provide quality nutritional care for clients. They perform routine nutritional screening, calculate nutrient intake, identify nutrition problems, implement diet plans and carry out all aspects of food service management. The course work covers exam topics related to nutritional practice that are outside the scope of normal day to day food service operations. As part of the certificate, students complete 150 hours of supervised clinical experience of which 25 hours are working directly with a Registered Dietitian.
Undergraduate Certificate Programs' Admission Criteria
Any person admitted to a Ferris State University degree program may enroll in courses for undergraduate COB certificates. No more than 50% of the credits in a certificate may be transferred from another institution. If a student is in a FSU degree-seeking program, the certificate will not be granted if more than 50% of the certificate credits are required in the program/major. The certificate will be granted upon completion with an average GPA of 2.0 or higher in the courses designated for the certificate.
Individuals wanting to advance their career, but not admitted to an FSU degree program, may also earn undergraduate COB certificates.
Admission process for individuals seeking only a certificate:
- Applicant should show proof of high school graduation with a 2.35 GPA. If it is determined by the COB Dean’s Office/SAA that regular program admission criteria should be met in order to complete the certificate successfully and be a contributing member of the course, all college transcripts should be submitted to the Admissions Office. Once admitted, an advisor will be assigned by the College of Business in the certificate program.
- Dual enrolled/concurrent students must complete the high school degree (provide transcript) before the certificate will be granted from FSU.
- Students wishing to pursue a bachelor or associate’s degree must meet the admission criteria for the program. This criteria review is initiated when the “Program Change Form” request is processed through the COB Dean’s Office/SAA.
Any mitigating circumstances will be considered on an individual basis by the College of Business Dean’s Office/SAA.
- No more than 50% of the credits in a certificate may be transferred from another institution.
- If a student is in a FSU degree-seeking program, the certificate will not be granted if more than 50% of the certificate credits are required in the program/major.
- A 2.00 cumulative GPA is required for completion of the Certificate.
- A term prior to completion of the Certificate, the student will log into MyFSU, and complete the “Apply for Graduation”. You will receive an email back with the next steps to take. Once this is done, the Graduation Secretary will notify the Registrar who will note the completion of the Certificate.
NOTICE: Students who return to the university after an interrupted enrollment (not including summer semester) must normally meet the requirements of the curriculum, which are in effect at the time of their return, not the requirements which were in effect when they were originally admitted.
Hospitality Management Program
West Commons 106
1319 Cramer Circle
Big Rapids, MI 49307