Why Choose the Event Management Minor?
The Event Management minor is designed to provide students with a combination of hands-on skills and knowledge needed to be successful in the multi-billion dollar event management industry. Courses in this minor are designed to cover topics within the three most widely recognized event industry certification exams.
This minor requires a 400-hour internship, and offers specialization in the areas of meeting and event planning; special event management; budgets and finance; event protocol, fundraising standards and non-profit restrictions, site selection; contracts, vendors, negotiations; marketing and promotions; food & beverage management; and meeting technology.
The event management minor can complement virtually any bachelor degree program and lead to a multitude of career opportunities. Samples of employment include:
- Conference Manager
- Wedding Planning Professional
- Event Design Coordinator
- Non-profit Event Coordinator
- Special Events Director
- Director of Exhibits
Any person who is admitted to a Ferris State University Bachelor's degree program is welcome to seek the attainment of this minor in addition to their major. Students wishing to add this minor must declare it with the Program Coordinator of the Hospitality Management Program.
- At least one-half of the credits must be Ferris State University credits.
- A maximum of 1/3 of the credits, but no more than 7 credits, may overlap with the student’s major.
- A minimum of fifty percent (50%) of the courses in the minor must be at the 200 or above level.
- A 2.00 GPA is required for completion of the Minor.
- A term prior to completion of the Minor, the student will log into MyFSU, and complete the “Apply for Graduation”. You will receive an email back with the next steps to take. Once this is done the Graduation Secretary will notify the Registrar who will note the completion of the Minor.
NOTICE: Students who return to the university after an interrupted enrollment (not including summer semester) must normally meet the requirements of the curriculum, which are in effect at the time of their return, not the requirements which were in effect when they were originally admitted.
Hospitality Management Program
1319 Cramer Circle/WCO 106
Big Rapids, MI 49307
ADA compliant checksheets are being developed for the 2019-2020 Catalog. If you would like to request an ADA compliant checksheet before the 19-20 catalog is published, please send your request to: FSUCurriculum@ferris.edu