Information Security & Intelligence, 5 year BS and MS
Why Choose the 5-Year Bachelor and Master of Science in Information Security and Intelligence?
This unique dual enrollment opportunity allows students to begin graduate studies once they have acquired senior status in the ISIN Bachelor program. MISI 629 can be used for ISIN 429 and PROJ 640 can be used for PROJ 320. Alternately, one MISI course can be used as an undergraduate directed elective. As a result, two courses can be used toward both degrees. Application and acceptance to the MS-ISI program is required prior to enrolling in graduate level courses and full admission to the MS-ISI program will begin the semester after completion of the Bachelor of Science in Information Security and Intelligence degree.
MS-ISI courses are offered fully online for flexible scheduling to serve both full-time and accelerated students, and part-time students who are working professionals.
The MS-ISI consists of eight core courses, including an integrated capstone project, and an Advanced Studies Certificate that focuses on the student’s concentration of choice: Incident Response (computer security), Business Intelligence, or Project Management. The MS-ISI can be completed 100% online.
There are several things that distinguish our Information Security and Intelligence programs in the top 10 of the nation and the premier programs for cyber security:
We have achieved the following much sought after designations:
- National Center of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance Education as designated by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the National Security Agency (NSA).
- National Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense Education as designated by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the National Security Agency (NSA)
- National Center of Digital Forensics Academic Excellence as designated by the Department of Defense Cyber Crime Center (DC3) and the DC3 Academic Cyber Curriculum Alliance (DACCA).
- Accredited Amazon Web Services (AWS) Academy for Cloud Computing Architecture
- Cellebrite Forensic Academic Partner
- EC-Council Accredited Training Center
- Palo Alto Networks Academy Partner
- CompTIA Academy Partner
- Pearson Vue Testing Center
Other acheivments that distinguish the Ferris ISI programs in the nation’s top 10:
- Michigan’s most advanced digital forensic research lab equipped with Axiom, EnCase, FTK, Forensic Explorer, Cellebrite, XRY, Passware Decryption Suite, Maltego, Shadow Dragon Social Net, i2, Stereo and Digital Laser microscopes, network segmentation, Steel Central, Burp Suite, and Palo Alto.
- Funded research grants from the National Security Agency, National Science Foundation and various other foundations.
- Extensive publication record consisting of multiple journals, books and periodicals. Some of this work has been cited in the United States Supreme Court such as in the landmark case Riley v. California.
- Students compete in various cyber security competitions and frequently finish in the top 10% nationally
- Students are eligible for NSA NIETP scholarships
- Active student organizations including the Information Security & Intelligence Association and Women in Cybersecurity.
- Multiple faculty have been certified as an expert witness in various courts.
- Faculty that have the following certifications: CISSP, E|CSA, GIAC GSSP-.NET, GIAC GCIH, C|ND, CPTE, CLFE, CAN, C|SCU, PMP, EnCE, ACE, CEH, CAPM, Scrum Master.
- Faculty that average over 15 years of work experience ranging from leadership positions in multibillion dollar corporations to law enforcement and licensed professional investigator.
- Faculty that include a Distinguished Professor, Fulbright Scholar, and International Educator of the year.
- Faculty that have taught on 4 continents that includes teaching digital forensics to the entire federal cybercrime units in Chile and Perú
- A student body that includes graduates from over 50 countries.
- Alumni that have distinguished themselves as leaders at dozens of organizations worldwide.
- Host site of Michigan’s Cyber Range.Host of cyber competitions and various summer camps and workshops.
Invest in Your Future
The BS in Information Security & Intelligence degree prepares students for a variety of career opportunities in fields such as Computer Forensics, Information Security, Intelligence/Big Data, Incident Response, and Mobile Security. Opportunities exist in the government, security, intelligence, health care, insurance, finance, and education fields.
The MS in Information Security & Intelligence (MS-ISI) program further develops students for careers in Business Intelligence, Incident Response (proactive and reactive in areas such as hacking and digital forensics), and Project Management utilizing secure practices. Positions include security officers, analysts, forensics experts, project managers, and technical managers.
To be considered for admission into the 5-Year Dual BS-ISIN and MS-ISI program, BS-ISIN students who have acquired senior status with a 3.0 cumulative GPA must submit the following documents:
- Completed application (Free on-line application can be completed at http://ferris.edu/admissions/application/homepage.htm )
- A current resume.
- A Statement of Purpose, approximately one page typed, explaining their reasons for seeking admission into the MS-ISI program. The Statement of Purpose should show that steps have been taken to learn about the MS-ISI program, explain what factors have influenced the decision to apply, and how this degree will help them achieve your short-term and long-term career goals.
- Three academic or professional recommendation letters attesting to the applicants ability to succeed in graduate level studies.
- No grade below a C will be counted toward completion of a College of Business graduate degree or certificate.
- No more than two C grades will be counted toward completion of a College of Business graduate degree or certificate.
- An overall GPA of 3.0 or better is required to earn a College of Business graduate degree or certificate.
- An overall GPA of 3.0 or better must be maintained to avoid dismissal from a College of Business graduate degree or certificate.
- Degree must be completed within five years from the first semester of enrollment.
- No more than 30% of the credits in a College of Business graduate degree may be transferred from another institution.
- Students must “Apply to Graduate” to be awarded a degree. Application can be accessed in MyFSU under Student Records.
- Requirements for Graduate Honors are: 3.75 to 3.89 overall GPA for Distinction, 3.90 to 4.0 overall GPA for Highest Distinction.
ADA compliant checksheets are being developed for the 2019-2020 Catalog. If you would like to request an ADA compliant checksheet before the 19-20 catalog is published, please send your request to: FSUCurriculum@ferris.edu
BS & MS in Information Security and Intelligence - 147 Credits
Business Courses - 15 Credits
Concentrations may be selected from one of the follwoing options or a custom concentratin may be developed with advisor approval.
One graduate level MISI program Course
Transfer - 12 Credits
Graduate Core - 24 Credits
(6 Credits completed in BS-ISIN)
(9 additional credits - MISI 610 is earned in the core courses)
(9 additional credits - MISI 660 is earned in the core courses)
(9 additional credits - PROJ 640 is earned in the core courses)
Master of Science in Information Security and Intelligence - 27 Credits