Why Choose Event Management Certificate?
The Event Management certificate is designed to provide meeting and event planning professionals, as well as those entering the hospitality field, with the skills and foundation of knowledge needed to excel in this multi-billion dollar industry. This certificate offers specialization in the areas of meeting and event planning, special event management, budgets and finance, event protocol, fundraising standards and non-profit restrictions, site selection, contracts, vendors, negotiations, marketing and promotions, food & beverage management, and meeting technology.
The event management certificate can complement virtually any degree program and lead to a multitude of career opportunities. Samples of employment include:
- Conference Coordinator
- Wedding Planning Professional
- Non-profit Event Coordinator
- Event Manager
Undergraduate Certificate Programs' Admission Criteria
Any person admitted to a Ferris State University degree program may enroll in courses for undergraduate COB certificates. No more than 50% of the credits in a certificate may be transferred from another institution. If a student is in a FSU degree-seeking program, the certificate will not be granted if more than 50% of the certificate credits are required in the program/major. The certificate will be granted upon completion with an average GPA of 2.0 or higher in the courses designated for the certificate.
Individuals wanting to advance their career, but not admitted to an FSU degree program, may also earn undergraduate COB certificates.
Admission process for individuals seeking only a certificate:
- Applicant should show proof of high school graduation with a 2.35 GPA. If it is determined by the COB Dean’s Office/SAA that regular program admission criteria should be met in order to complete the certificate successfully and be a contributing member of the course, all college transcripts should be submitted to the Admissions Office. Once admitted, an advisor will be assigned by the College of Business in the certificate program.
- Dual enrolled/concurrent students must complete the high school degree (provide transcript) before the certificate will be granted from FSU.
- Students wishing to pursue a bachelor or associate’s degree must meet the admission criteria for the program. This criteria review is initiated when the “Program Change Form” request is processed through the COB Dean’s Office/SAA.
Any mitigating circumstances will be considered on an individual basis by the College of Business Dean’s Office/SAA.
- No more than 50% of the credits in a certificate may be transferred from another institution.
- If a student is in a FSU degree-seeking program, the certificate will not be granted if more than 50% of the certificate credits are required in the program/major.
- A 2.00 cumulative GPA is required for completion of the Certificate.
- A term prior to completion of the Certificate, the student will log into MyFSU, and complete the “Apply for Graduation”. You will receive an email back with the next steps to take. Once this is done, the Graduation Secretary will notify the Registrar who will note the completion of the Certificate.
NOTICE: Students who return to the university after an interrupted enrollment (not including summer semester) must normally meet the requirements of the curriculum, which are in effect at the time of their return, not the requirements which were in effect when they were originally admitted.
For more information, contact:
Hospitality Management Program
West Commons 106
1319 Cramer Circle
Big Rapids, MI 49307