You are currently viewing an archived version of the Ferris catalog.
View the most current version.
Polymer Materials Technology (Minor)
Why Choose to Minor in Polymer Materials Technology?
The polymer materials technology minor is intended for non-Plastics/Rubber majors who are interested in the polymer industry. This minor is intended to complement existing degrees within FSU. Affording students a technical focus which could result in employment opportunities in the third largest industry in the United States.
- Understand and learn the terminology in the plastics and rubber industry.
- Know the most used polymer materials and their significant properties and applications.
- Learn how to measure and evaluate polymer materials by their physical and mechanical properties.
- Know the major polymer suppliers associated with the industry.
- Know and understand the typical rubber and plastics/rubber fabrication techniques.
- Understand polymer materials selection as it relates to materials and product design.
The minor is open to all students enrolled and pursuing a baccalaureate or higher degree in majors other than Plastic Engineering Technology or Rubber Engineering Technology.
Approval from the Plastics and Rubber department and satisfying prerequisites. Cumulative GPA of a 2.0 or higher.
- Chemistry 121 Science elective (5 credits) or equivalent (University Scientific Understanding)
- Math 120 or equivalent
An academic minor may only be awarded upon completion of a baccalaureate or higher at Ferris State University.
- maintain a 2.00 cumulative FSU GPA
- earn a minimum grade of C- for each course in the minor
- have a minimum of 18 semester credit hours
- have a maximum of 1/3 of the credits, but no more than 7 credits in a minor, may overlap the students major
- have a minimum of 50% (9 credits) of the courses in the minor at the 200 or above level
- have at least one-half (1/2) of the credits (9 credits) from Ferris (FSU Residency requirement)
National Elastomer Center
919 Campus Drive, NEC 211
Big Rapids, MI 49307-2277
College of Engineering Technology
Ferris State University
1009 Campus Drive, JOH 200
Big Rapids, MI 49307-2280
ADA compliant checksheets are being developed for the 2019-2020 Catalog. If you would like to request an ADA compliant checksheet before the 19-20 catalog is published, please send your request to: [email protected]