Polymer Materials Technology (Minor)
Why Choose to Minor in Polymer Materials Technology?
The polymer materials technology minor is intended for non-Plastics/Rubber majors who are interested in the polymer industry. This minor is intended to complement existing degrees within FSU. Affording students a technical focus which could result in employment opportunities in the third largest industry in the United States.
- Understand and learn the terminology in the plastics and rubber industry.
- Know the most used polymer materials and their significant properties and applications.
- Learn how to measure and evaluate polymer materials by their physical and mechanical properties.
- Know the major polymer suppliers associated with the industry.
- Know and understand the typical rubber and plastics/rubber fabrication techniques.
- Understand polymer materials selection as it relates to materials and product design.
The minor is open to all students enrolled and pursuing a baccalaureate or higher degree in majors other than Plastic Engineering Technology or Rubber Engineering Technology.
Approval from the Plastics and Rubber department and satisfying prerequisites. Cumulative GPA of a 2.0 or higher.
- Chemistry 121 Science elective (5 credits) or equivalent (University Scientific Understanding)
- Math 120 or equivalent
An academic minor may only be awarded upon completion of a baccalaureate or higher at Ferris State University.
- maintain a 2.00 cumulative FSU GPA
- earn a minimum grade of C- for each course in the minor
- have a minimum of 18 semester credit hours
- have a maximum of 1/3 of the credits, but no more than 7 credits in a minor, may overlap the students major
- have a minimum of 50% (9 credits) of the courses in the minor at the 200 or above level
- have at least one-half (1/2) of the credits (9 credits) from Ferris (FSU Residency requirement)
National Elastomer Center
919 Campus Drive, NEC 211
Big Rapids, MI 49307-2277
College of Engineering Technology
Ferris State University
1009 Campus Drive, JOH 200
Big Rapids, MI 49307-2280
ADA compliant checksheets are being developed for the 2019-2020 Catalog. If you would like to request an ADA compliant checksheet before the 19-20 catalog is published, please send your request to: [email protected]