You are currently viewing an archived version of the Ferris catalog.
View the most current version.
Why Choose the Master of Business Administration?
An MBA provides a graduate with a comprehensive perspective on management and the business environment and tools and methods to approach and successfully solve complex business challenges in the global marketplace. The Ferris MBA combines a strong core curriculum focused on key business competencies with deeper learning in a specialty the student chooses.
While MBA courses cannot replace the value of work experience, courses designed specifically with a focus on a management perspective-- managerial accounting, managerial finance, strategic management-- provide students with experience in problem solving, interpretation, case analysis, and policy development in many different business contexts. This structured learning ensures that students can apply these lessons in their work environment, maximizing the effect of education and experience.
Students prepare for careers or advancement in many fields, including health care, manufacturing, sales, and more. The core courses develop team and management skills to improve organizational performance in accounting, finance, leadership, strategy, economics, statistics, marketing, legal, the global environment, information systems, and operations.
Some foundation competencies are required however our 39-credit MBA program does not require prerequisite courses which allows us to offer a much more robust core, including Lean Systems and Data Analytics, rarely found in other MBA programs.
Students must complete one of the concentrations below.
Nursing Concentration - MBA students who hold a RN license may select a 9-credit concentration from the Ferris Master of Nursing (MSN) curriculum.
Pharmacy Concentration - Students currently enrolled in the FSU Doctor of Pharmacy Program can pursue the Ferris MBA with a 9-credit Pharmacy Concentration that consists of one pharmacy management course and a 6-credit clerkship in their choice of; Corporate Pharmacy Management, Pharmaceutical Industry, or Health Systems Pharmacy.
Professional Concentration – Students who have specific career interests may work with an advisor to select a combination of existing graduate courses and/or propose independent research to customize a concentration in nearly any field of study.
Diversified Concentration – Students with various interests will select Business Graduate Electives which provides the opportunity to explore areas of business they may apply in their future careers.
Or students can choose one of our advanced studies certificates as their concentration.
The Advanced Studies Certificate in Accounting will enable students to advance their knowledge and skills necessary for success in any business-related profession. The certificate provides students a comprehensive understanding of business in a global environment, research methodologies for various topics encountered in business, and reinforces the requirement to maintain ethical standards in all business relationships
The Advanced Studies Certificate in Business Intelligence is designed to prepare individuals with both theoretical and practical experience in designing, developing and utilizing database and informatics systems. Students will utilize tools and techniques including predictive, geographic, and link/visual analysis in a big data/data analytics environment.
The Advanced Studies Certificate in Design and Innovation Management prepares graduates for leadership positions in design-centered businesses. The program provides students a comprehensive understanding of the ways in which the method, measure, and language of design drive the practice of business and the process of innovation and teaches them how to cultivate and build a culture of innovation within their organization. The ASDI certificate is offered at Kendall College of Art & Design in Grand Rapids.
The Advanced Studies Certificate in Incident Response is designed to prepare individuals to secure computers, networks, and systems against intrusions and unauthorized access, test and assess security measures, and forensically analyze the environment to determine events and situations that may have occurred in a digital environment.
The Advanced Studies Certificate in Lean Systems and Leadership delivers a comprehensive education for applying lean concepts to various industries: e.g. banks, nonprofits, offices, hospitals, restaurants, manufacturing. The classes prepare individuals to lead, manage, and evaluate a continuous improvement system in a complex work environment. This cutting edge approach will provide graduates with highly sought-after capabilities to improve operational & financial performance and monitor growth within any type of organization.
The Advanced Studies Certificate in Performance Metrics is designed to educate students in how to appropriately measure various strategies, projects and activities with respect to effectiveness, quality and efficiency.
The Advanced Studies Certificate in Project Management is designed to prepare individuals for careers as program, project, and portfolio managers consistent with the Project Management Institute’s Project Management Body of Knowledge and other industry standards. Students will study the entire project life cycle and supporting tools and technologies.
The Advanced Studies Certificate in Supply Chain Management and Lean Logistics curriculum is designed to prepare students to analyze and provide solutions for situations involving the integrated supply chain (manufacturing, purchasing, logistics and transportation, business development and operations, et al). The courses provide students with an ever increasing base of knowledge on how to create value added strategies. This knowledge is exercised through the optimal application of logistics and supply chain coordination. Future managers and executives will use this knowledge the rest of their careers.
Admission to a graduate program is granted to students showing high promise of success. The College of Business uses various measures of high promise including the candidate’s performance on the graduate admission test and upper-division grade-point average. Such measures, along with other reasonable indications of promise, will be used in combination to arrive at a final judgment.
To be considered for admission to the MBA Program, applicants must submit the following documents:
- Completed application (Free online application can be completed at ferris.edu/admissions/application).
- Official course transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate colleges and universities previously attended, which include confirmation of a Bachelor degree or higher degree from a regionally accredited university with an overall Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.0 or better on a 4.0 scale.
- A current resume
- A Statement of Purpose, approximately one page typed, explaining reasons for seeking admission into the MBA program. Statement of Purpose should show that you have taken steps to learn about our program and are familiar with and prepared for online or mixed-delivery courses. You should also explain what factors have influenced your decision to pursue an MBA, and how this degree will help you achieve your short-term and long-term career goals.
- Three academic or professional recommendation letters attesting to your ability to succeed in graduate level studies.
- GMAT or GRE test scores. A formulated composite score of GPA and GMAT or GRE test scores will be used along with other required documents to arrive at an admission decision. (Written Requests for Waiver of GMAT/GRE test requirement will be considered if applicant has completed a previous Master’s or terminal degree, or has significant leadership experience).
- Applicants who have not earned a “C” grade or better in Accounting, Economics, Marketing, and Statistics within the last five years must pass the approved foundational test(s) with a score of 80% or better prior to enrollment in some MBA courses.
Additional Requirements for International Students
- Copy of identification page(s) of your passport.
- Confidential Financial Statement signed by you or your sponsor.
- Original official bank statement from you or your sponsor representing funds for at least one academic year.
- Proof of English proficiency (provide one of the following)
– TOEFL score of 70 on Internet based test with no score in the low, weak, or limited range, and a writing sub score of 22 or higher
– IELTS score of 6.5 with writing sub score of 6.0 or higher
Application Due Dates
- February 15 – for starting summer semester in May
- June 15 – for starting fall semester in August
- October 15 – for starting winter semester in January
The application alone is not sufficient to meet required deadlines.
When all required materials are received, the application file will be considered complete. The MBA Application Review Committee will review only complete application files and notify applicants by email of the admissions decision.
- No grade below a C will be counted toward completion of a College of Business graduate degree or certificate.
- No more than two C grades will be counted toward completion of a College of Business graduate degree or certificate.
- An overall GPA of 3.0 or better is required to earn a College of Business graduate degree or certificate.
- An overall GPA of 3.0 or better must be maintained to avoid dismissal from a College of Business graduate degree or certificate.
- Degree must be completed within five years from the first semester of enrollment.
- No more than 30% of the credits in a College of Business graduate degree may be transferred from another institution.
- Students must “Apply to Graduate” to be awarded a degree. Application can be accessed in MyFSU under Student Records.
- Requirements for Graduate Honors are: 3.75 to 3.89 overall GPA for Distinction, 3.90 to 4.0 overall GPA for Highest Distinction.
Master of Business Adminsitration - 48 Credits
One Advanced Study Certificate Required - 12 Credits
Design & Innovation Management
Lean Systems and Leadership
Supply Chain Management and Lean Logistics
In place of a certificate a student could choose a Concentration