Why Choose the Catering Management Certificate?
The Catering Management certificate is designed to complement any degree by providing the fundamental knowledge necessary to successfully manage a catering operation. Required courses cover basic culinary skills, financial management, purchasing, banquet operations, and guest services. The curriculum is designed to provide students with the experience essential to meeting the elevated expectations of today’s event professionals. As part of the fifteen credits needed for the Catering Management certificate, students are required to complete an internship of 400 hours minimum in a catering related position.
Undergraduate Certificate Programs' Admission Criteria
Any person admitted to a Ferris State University degree program may enroll in courses for undergraduate COB certificates. No more than 50% of the credits in a certificate may be transferred from another institution. If a student is in a FSU degree-seeking program, the certificate will not be granted if more than 50% of the certificate credits are required in the program/major. The certificate will be granted upon completion with an average GPA of 2.0 or higher in the courses designated for the certificate.
Individuals wanting to advance their career, but not admitted to an FSU degree program, may also earn undergraduate COB certificates.
Admission process for individuals seeking only a certificate:
- Applicant should show proof of high school graduation with a 2.35 GPA. If it is determined by the COB Dean’s Office/SAA that regular program admission criteria should be met in order to complete the certificate successfully and be a contributing member of the course, all college transcripts should be submitted to the Admissions Office. Once admitted, an advisor will be assigned by the College of Business in the certificate program.
- Dual enrolled/concurrent students must complete the high school degree (provide transcript) before the certificate will be granted from FSU.
- Students wishing to pursue a bachelor or associate’s degree must meet the admission criteria for the program. This criteria review is initiated when the “Program Change Form” request is processed through the COB Dean’s Office/SAA.
Any mitigating circumstances will be considered on an individual basis by the College of Business Dean’s Office/SAA.
- No more than 50% of the credits in a certificate may be transferred from another institution.
- If a student is in a FSU degree-seeking program, the certificate will not be granted if more than 50% of the certificate credits are required in the program/major.
- A 2.00 cumulative GPA is required for completion of the Certificate.
- A term prior to completion of the Certificate, the student will log into MyFSU, and complete the “Apply for Graduation”. You will receive an email back with the next steps to take. Once this is done, the Graduation Secretary will notify the Registrar who will note the completion of the Certificate.
NOTICE: Students who return to the university after an interrupted enrollment (not including summer semester) must normally meet the requirements of the curriculum, which are in effect at the time of their return, not the requirements which were in effect when they were originally admitted.
For more information, contact:
Hospitality Management Program
West Commons 106
1319 Cramer Circle
Big Rapids, MI 49307
Email: [email protected]